Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)


Campaspe FDP

Campaspe FDP

Fire restrictions are now in force.

The Fire Danger Period is now in force for the Campaspe region.

The CFA said with low winter rainfall and predictions of a drier and warmer than average Spring, the fire potential is increased.

District 20 Commander Mick Lavery said the coming weeks have a high risk of fire.

"The moisture levels are still reasonably moderate in the fuel," he said.

"Over the next couple of weeks when things really dry out, there is a lot of fuel around and it will burn readily."

During the Fire Danger Period fires cannot be lit in the open air without a written permit from CFA or a Municipal Fire Prevention Officer.

Permits are based on local conditions and take into account are fuel moisture, fuel loads, grassland curing, weather and rainfall.

Burn-offs are no longer allowed without a permit, but campers are still allowed small fires if they comply with the following restrictions:

- The fire is less than 1m squared in size

- Winds are less than 10km/h

- The fire must be in a properly constructed fireplace

- The area around the fire is clear for at least 3m

- The area above the fire must be free from flammable material

- A person must be in attendance at all times, with the means to extinguish the fire

- Make sure the fire is properly extinguished before leaving

Now the FDP is in effect, the CFA is taking a zero-tolerance approach to any fires started through negligent behaviour.

"You can be charged, you will go to court and [there are] various charges for the severity of the damage caused," Commander Lavery said.

"This is a very serious offence and the CFA and Police will be pursuing anyone that breaks the law during the Fire Danger Period and on Total Fire Ban days."

Article continues below

Victorians can find out “Can I or Can’t I?” information on the CFA website or by calling VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226.

All burn-offs should be registered with the VicFire Burn-off notification line on 1800 668 511.

Fire Danger Period information:

- A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation during the FDP. This permit may be issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office. Please check with your municipality in the first instance.

- A permit is required to operate a gas powered scare gun.

- Lighting a fire in the open without a permit is an offence and can bring a penalty of over $19,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. Barbeques and fires for cooking and warmth do not require a permit, but must be lit in properly constructed fireplaces (to view complete conditions visit

- The use of an incinerator, chainsaw/lawn mower, welding/grinding equipment and vehicles that come in contact with vegetation and machinery with an internal combust ion/heat
engine are permitted provided conditions are followed. Conditions also apply to commercial caterers, barbecues, campfires and machinery.

- Farmers can find legal guidelines and practical advice at – this information is important especially for new farmers, bush block owners or hobby

- A Total Fire Ban declaration means no fires can be lit for the declared district for that day unless there is a specific exemption or special permit issued. This applies irrespective of the Fire Restriction status for a given municipality. Further details at

The Latest