Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






Ex-blues cleared to Echuca

Ex-Carlton stars Fisher and Carazzo cleared, but won't play in 2018, says Walker

Echuca Football Club has had clearances approved for ex-Carlton footballers Andrew Carazzo and Brad Fisher to join the club.

Coach Andrew Walker, himself a 200-game veteran with the Blues, said today while the clearances were through, it was unlikely the pair would play at Victoria Park this season.

Carazzo who played 194 games for the Blues before retiring in 2015, has concentrated on raising a young family and umpiring after leaving Carlton.

Walker said Carazzo had shown an interest in coaching and could be used to help train up to 10 Echuca players based in Melbourne throughout the week.

"It would be great to have someone like that being able to guide our Melbourne players," he said.

Fisher was at Carlton when Walker arrived as an exciting teenager and remains close friends to this day.

Article continues below

"We have remained great friends and we have always talked about getting together and playing again one day," Walker said.

With the Murray Bombers firmly entrenched in the top six with a record of eight wins and four losses, Walker isn't keen on making too many changes to the playing list in the second half of the season.

Echuca had signed former Sydney premiership star Ben McGlynn in recent weeks.

But Walker has faith in the largely local list he and co-coach Simon Maddox have built in 2018.

Walker praised the strength of the whole team, particularly in the absence of reigning Morrison Medal winner Simon Buckley, who returned to the side last week after a long lay-off.

The Murray Bombers have a bye this week, before taking on winnable games against Seymour and Shepparton United. The following week is the greatest test in country football, the unbeaten Kyabram Bombers on July 28.